The Max Planck Academy is committed to protecting the privacy of all individuals who visit The Max Planck Academy’s website located at academy.insan.org.my, which includes all subdomains, present, and future (the “Website”).
To make this policy easier to read, we call the Website and all related services as the “Platform”. When we talk about “Personal Information”, we mean information relating to you or other identifiable individuals.
Max Planck Academy Data and Customer Content
We collect Personal Information (such as registration and account information) from our customers and users of the Platform for our own purposes, such as to provide and administer the Platform (“Max Planck Academy Data”). We’re the data controller in respect of this information.
We also process Personal Information on behalf of our customers as their data processor, such as content generated, requested or published via the Website in accordance with the instructions our customers give us through the Platform (including, for example, the information our customers monitor or collect from social media sites like Twitter and Facebook through the Platform) (“Customer Content”). Our customers control how their Customer Content is collected and used by them. In legal terms, this means that our customers are the data controller of their Customer Content. Accordingly, we only use Customer Content to provide the Services to our customers in accordance with the lawful instructions they give us through the Services.
Max Planck Academy takes your privacy seriously. We know you trust us to help with your homework and we want you to know that you can trust us with your personal information.
Max Planck Academy Data we receive or collect
When you first register for a Max Planck Academy account, and when you use the Platform, we collect some Personal Information about you such as:
- Full name, including First Name and Last Name
- Email address and other contact details including phone number; parent email address, if provided
- Tutoring lessons (some content in a lesson can be considered personal information – we do not request this but we cannot control the exchange of information within a lesson)
- The geographic area of the user’s computer and mobile devices
- User’s IP Address and, when applicable, timestamp related to the user’s consent and confirmation of consent
- Other information submitted by users or users organizational representatives via various methods (phone, email, online forms, surveys, in-person meetings, etc.)
- Information Max Planck Academy may receive relating to communications user sends Max Planck Academy, such as queries or comments concerning Max Planck Academy Services
- Information relating to an individual’s real-time location
- Other optional information as part of your account profile
- User’s comments
Max Planck Academy also automatically collects and receives certain information from your computer or mobile device, including the activities you perform on our Website, the type of hardware and software you are using (for example, your operating system or browser), and information obtained from cookies (see “Cookies” below). For example, each time you visit the Website or otherwise use the Platform, we automatically collect your IP address, browser and device type, access times, the web page from which you came, the regions from which you navigate the web page, and the web page(s) you access (as applicable)
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
How we use Max Planck Academy Data
Max Planck Academy uses Max Planck Academy for the following general purposes:
- to identify you when you register with Max Planck Academy
- to enable us to operate the Platform and provide them to you
- to analyze the Website or the other Services and information about our visitors and users, including research into our user demographics and user behavior in order to improve our content and Platform
- to contact you about your account and provide customer service support, including responding to your comments and questions
- to keep you informed about the Platform, features, surveys, newsletters, offers, contests and events we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us
- to sell or market Max Planck Academy products and services to you
- to better understand your needs and the needs of users in the aggregate, diagnose problems, analyze trends, improve the features and usability of the Platform, and better understand and market to our customers and users
- to keep the Platform safe and secure
We also use non-identifiable information gathered for statistical purposes to keep track of the number of visits to the Platform with a view to introducing improvements and improving the usability of the Platform. We may share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use the Platform, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal experience.
Cookies and related technologies
The Services use “session cookies”, which improve your user experience by storing certain information from your current visit on your device. These enable us to remember your login session so you can move easily within the Website. Without these session cookies, we wouldn’t be able to provide the Services to you. Other examples of our use of session cookies include tracking the number of visits by a particular visitor to a page.
Performance and Remarketing Cookies
i) Google Analytics
Max Planck Academy uses a specific cookie in order to facilitate the use of Google Universal Analytics for users logged-in to the Applications or the Platforms (“Logged-In User”). We do this only to better understand how you use the Website and the other Services, with a view to offering improvements for all Max Planck Academy users; and to tailor our business and marketing activities accordingly, both generally and specifically to you. Google Analytics cookies do not provide Max Planck Academy with any Personal Information. Learn more about privacy at Google and to opt-out of this feature by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
ii) Facebook Pixel
Max Planck Academy uses Facebook Pixel on our website. This allows user behavior to be tracked after they have been redirected to the provider’s website by clicking on a Facebook ad. This enables us to measure the effectiveness of Facebook ads for statistical and market research purposes. The data collected in this way is anonymous to us, i.e. we do not see the personal data of individual users. However, this data is stored and processed by Facebook, which is why we are informing you, based on our knowledge of the situation. Facebook may link this information to your Facebook account and also use it for its own promotional purposes, in accordance with Facebook’s Data Usage Policy. You can allow Facebook and its partners to place ads on and off Facebook. A cookie may also be stored on your computer for these purposes.
When we may share Personal Information
- when you explicitly consent to the disclosure of such information to a third party when connecting to a third-party service that asks you if you consent to such sharing;
- where we are legally required to do so, such as in response to court orders or legal process, or to establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or to defend against legal claims or demands;
- if we believe it is necessary in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person;
- if we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding situations that involve abuse of the Services infrastructure or the Internet in general (such as voluminous spamming, denial of service attacks, or attempts to compromise the security of the Website infrastructure or the Services generally);
- to a parent company, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with Max Planck Academy;
- if this information is not private, is aggregated or is otherwise non-Personal Information, such as your public user profile information and related public data or the number of users who clicked on a particular link (even if only one did so).
Max Planck Academy uses email as the primary mode of communication with our users. We want to respect your privacy by only sending emails of interest to you. You can manage your email preferences, such as opting-out or unsubscribing from emails sent by Max Planck Academy, by adjusting your preferences in your account settings. You may also opt-out or unsubscribe from any future email communications from within a link provided in each email correspondence that we send you.
You can contact us to obtain a copy of the Personal Information held about you by us. This may be subject to a fee not exceeding any prescribed fee permitted by applicable law. You can also ask us to correct and, where relevant, erase that information. Please note that certain Personal Information may need to be retained by Max Planck Academy for a period of time following the cancellation of your account where this is necessary for our legitimate business purposes or required or authorized by applicable law. As mentioned above, you have a right to change your email preferences at any time.
Max Planck Academy
11A Jalan Jernang Jaya 1
43650 Bandar Baru Bangi
As of Dec 5, 2019.